I don't know about you, but as a fair dinkum Kiwi...I live for my Vogels! It's my GO TO brekkie...and of course we all know the number 1 reason Australians want to come to New Zealand is for the fibrous glory of our Vogel's bread! It's World Famous in NZ.
Nothing compares to Vogel's! Not even me! I'm off to my tent I'm having boiled eggs and Vogels soldiers. Not even Hilary will find me here!
Check out these fab recipes with Vogels bread:
PEACH & RICOTTA
2 Slices Original Mixed Grain Toast
1 Can of Peaches in Juice
4 Tbsp Ricotta
1 tsp Chelsea White Sugar
Cook toast to how you like it.
Top each slice with half of the ricotta.
Add four slices of peaches.
Sprinkle with Chelsea white sugar to garnish.
FRUIT AND SPICE PUDDING
3 Tbsp raisins
3 Tbsp brandy
200ml Meadow Fresh milk (not trim)
1 Vanilla pod
Zest of 1/2 orange
30g slightly softened butter
6 slices Vogel's Fruit & Spice Extra Thick loaf
3 large eggs
3 Tbsp Chelsea white sugar
100ml Meadow Fresh cream
1/4 cup blueberries (optional)
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and grated
1 Tbsp demerara sugar or regular sugar
Nutmeg to grate or 1 tsp cinnamon
Extra butter to dot on top of pudding prior to baking
1. Put raisins in a small bowl. Top with brandy and leave overnight, covered, on the bench.
2. Put Meadow Fresh milk and vanilla pod (or vanilla essence) on to heat, bring to just a simmer. Add orange zest. Cool.
3. Cut the crusts off the bread, then butter both sides with butter. Cut into triangles or smaller pieces (bite sized) and place in the greased baking dish. Arrange the slices in overlapping rows inside or you can simply scatter.
4. Beat eggs with Chelsea white sugar until well mixed (I used the mixer on full). Remove pod from milk (if used) and beat the milk and Meadow Fresh cream into egg mixture.
5. Pour about half of the egg/cream mix over the bread, scatter raisins over and leave for 20 mins in the fridge.
6. Preheat oven to 180C. Now pour the remaining milk/cream/egg mix over the bread and grated apple (make sure you squeeze the apple juice or liquid out with a paper towel first) and scatter with the blueberries (optional) on top.
7. Dot with any remaining butter and scatter the demerara sugar/nutmeg over.
6. Place the baking dish in a large roasting tray and fill to half way up the sides with warm water. Bake for 35-45 mins until golden brown.
For more recipes with Vogels Ingredients - CLICK HERE
Halo has used items from around the house, on the wall and in the pantry! Halo thought it would be a fun way to promote New Zealand businesses whilst under lock-down.
- Jeremy with his Vogel's
- Gizmo groomed by Jana at Shaggy D'Tails in Devonport